Your tax assessment notice is a summary of your tax for the past year, showing your income, deductions and allowances and tax paid.

Your tax assessment notice for 2020 will be available in E-tax from Monday 15 March 2021. It tells you if you are entitled to a refund of overpaid tax or if you have paid too little tax last year. Remember that if you are entitled to a deduction for transport between home and work, you have to enter the deduction yourself in your tax assessment notice.

The deadline for making changes to your tax assessment notice is 1 May 2021. If you do it before the deadline and you are entitled to a refund of overpaid tax, you will get your tax refund sooner. In most cases, we will refund the overpaid tax to your account from 9 April 2021.

Please note that you can only get your tax assessment notice in Danish. However, you can find translated examples of tax assessment notices for taxpayers with full and limited tax liability at and  

If you want to see your expected income, deductions and allowances and tax for the 2021, you have to check your preliminary income assessment.

See your tax assessment notice

We obtain most of the information for your tax assessment notice from your bank, your employer or student grant provider, for example. If your tax assessment looks right, you do not need to do anything. 

Deductions and allowances that you have to enter yourself:

Deduction for transport between home and work

Deduction for household services

Profit or loss on shares or securities (in Danish)

Income from sharing economy activities (such as renting out your room, home or car) (in Danish)

Child maintenance (in Danish)

Maintenance payments (in Danish)

Food and accommodation and double housekeeping

Deductions for workwear, courses, etc.

You need to file your tax return for the income year 2020 by 1 September 2021. Please note that you need to complete and accept your tax return even if you have nothing to add to the information listed in your service letter.

You should file a tax return if you:

  • are self-employed
  • have foreign income or property
  • own rental property that you do not live in personally
  • are an artist and are covered by the income equalisation scheme for artists
  • work with irregular financial year
  • own shares in investment project partnerships (ordinary or limited) (anparter) which are not subject to the rules governing such shares.

Read more about the tax return 

Understand your preliminary income assessment and your tax assessment notice

the difference between the preliminary income assessment and tax assessment notice

Which is which?

Preliminary income assessment

This is our assessment of your tax budget (income and tax payable for the coming year).

  • Preliminary income assessment is:
  • Budget
  • Applies to next year
  • May be updated several times during the year

Tax assessment notice

This is our calculation of your final tax accounts for the past year (your actual earnings and tax payment).

  • Tax assessment notice is:
  • Accounts
  • Applies to the past year
  • Calculated once a year

When is it happening?

You can see your preliminary income assessment on each year from November.

You can see your tax assessment notice on each year in March.

What should I do?

Preliminary income assessment

Update your preliminary income assessment when it is available or if:

  • your income increases/decreases
  • you work more days from home than you usually do
  • you have received your frozen holiday pay
  • you raise a loan
  • you start/close a business

Tax assessment notice

Check your tax assessment notice and see if you are entitled to a refund or have to pay outstanding tax:

  • Check the information
  • Correct information if required


Please see our legal guide (in Danish) for further legal information.