We refund overpaid tax to your NemKonto, starting on 9 April 2021. However, sometimes it may take longer for us to make the refund.

If, for example, you have not filed your tax return, if you are owed a considerable tax refund or if you or your spouse owe money to the public authorities, it may take longer as we need to offset your debt against any overpaid tax.

We need to ensure that offsetting against overpaid tax is effected according to the law. Therefore, we check your possible debt before we make a refund. Unfortunately, you cannot do anything to speed up our processing of your tax matters or accelerate your refund - even if you call us or pay your debt.

You or your spouse owe money to the public authorities

If you or your spouse owe money to the public authorities and your debt has been transferred for debt collection, we will consider whether your overpaid tax should be used to bring down this debt instead. Such debt could be unpaid tax from previous years, licence fee or maintenance payments. 

You will be notified via Digital Post of how much we will withhold of your overpaid tax and when you will receive a possible refund. If you have not signed up for Digital Post, you will be notified by ordinary post.

Amounts in excess of DKK 100,000

We check your tax matters before we make a refund into your account. As a result, it may take a little longer.

Insufficient information

We may find that we need further information from you. Such information could be on profit on homes purchased by parents for their children, income from solar panels or profits or loss on securities Trading. You can enter information in your tax assessment notice until the deadline which is either 1 May or 1 Jul. You can check this deadline in E-tax (TastSelv).

Check your NemKonto

Please check your NemKonto by logging on to www.NemKonto.dk. If you do not have a NemKonto and your overpaid tax amounts to DKK 200 or less, it will not be refunded.

For overpaid tax in the income year 2020, the interest surplus is 0.0%.

If you do not have a Danish NemKonto you can:

  • Set up a NemKonto with a Danish bank. You can also register your foreign tax account as your NemKonto. If you have NemID/MitID, you can do so electronically. Otherwise, you will have to complete a form. Go to www.NemKonto.dk Select English, then 'Assign a NemKonto for citizens' and finally 'NemKonto form for citizens (pdf)'.

    Set up a NemKonto

  • If you have NemID/MitID or an E-tax password (TastSelv-kode) you can log on to E-tax and send an email with your Danish CPR no. and your foreign bank account information (IBAN no. and SWIFT/BIC code). You will receive your refund within 90 days.

    Log on to E-tax to send us an email

  • If you do not have NemID/MitID, you can send us an email at www.skat.dk where you select 'English' and then 'Contact' and then select a subject. Or you can send a letter to:

    Nykøbingvej 76
    Bygning 45
    4990 Sakskøbing 

    Remember to state your Danish CPR no. and your foreign bank information (IBAN no. and SWIFT/BIC code).


Please see our legal guide (in Danish) for further legal information.