If you enter or leave Denmark, or are in transit, and are carrying more than EUR 10,000 (approx. DKK 75,000), you must always declare the amount to the Danish Customs Agency (Toldstyrelsen).

This applies regardless of the currency and regardless of whether the money is in the form of cash, traveller's cheques or securities.

This also applies if you are sending amounts corresponding to DKK 75,000 or more from Denmark, or if you receive an amount of this size from abroad.

You must also declare the amount to us, even if you are only in transit and are staying in Danish customs territory for a short period of time, for example in a car or train, or if you are going ashore from a ship.

It is your duty to declare the amount, regardless of whether you are a private individual or a business. If you are not the owner of the money but are carrying it as a courier or a driver, you must still declare the amount.

The money must be declared at the Danish border by one of the following:

  • the sender
  • the sender's representative
  • the recipient
  • the recipient's representative
  • the carrier, such as a courier or a transport operator

If the total amount brought across the border is EUR 10,000 or more, the owner or owners, if there are more, of the amount must be clearly indicated in the declaration.

If you do not declare the money, you will face a fine and the Danish Customs Agency (Toldstyrelsen) may withhold the money.

You should complete the declaration form before crossing the border and hand it over to the Danish Customs Agency at the border. If it is not possible to hand over the form to us at the border, it should be handed over at the nearest customs clearance office or in connection with another customs control. Please note that you have a duty to declare the money, even if you are not asked by the customs officer.

You can declare the money by either completing a form or by contacting a customs clearance office in person.

Please note that there may be some waiting time at the airport and the customs clearance offices. In connection with customs control which does not take place at a customs clearance house or at the border, you should make the declaration without being asked, either orally or by completing a form.

By form:

  • Complete form 12.021.
  • Bring the form to the airport or a customs clearance house to have it stamped by the Danish Customs Agency (Toldstyrelsen) before you leave (or send money from) Denmark.
  • Remember to bring the stamped form when entering and/or leaving Denmark.

In person:

  • When entering or leaving Denmark, you should tell a customs official that you are carrying more than EUR 10,000. You can do so either at a customs clearance office or at the airport. You can find a list of customs clearance offices below.
  • You should provide the same information as for the form 12.021.

Please see our legal guide (in Danish) for further legal information.