1. Have your motor vehicle inspected (for older vehicles, motor bikes and deregistered vehicles)
If you want to export your vehicle, it must undergo an extended registration inspection (customs inspection), which is performed in connection with registration inspection.
Extended registration inspections (customs inspections) apply to:
- Cars and motor bikes which is more than ten years old. SKAT may choose to inspect vehicles that are less than ten years old.
- Cars and motorcycles which have been deregistered for more than one year.
When you aks SKAT for a vehicle valuation, the inspection must have been performed within the past four weeks. Find inspection centre.
2. Request a valuation from SKAT
You need to request a valuation two weeks before you export a vehicle.
- Log on to 'Motorregistret' (Register of Motor Vehicles) using your NemID or Digital Signature
- Select 'Motor' (Motor) - 'Motorregisteret' (Register of Motor Vehicles) - 'Registreringsafgift' (Registration tax) - 'Anmod om værdifastsættelse' (Request a valuation)
- Enter the registration certificate codes (RAK-koder) or check-digit from the registration certificate
- Fill out the reguired information and click 'Godkend' (Accept)
- You will receive a receipt with a file number, which you must use in step 4.
Log on to the Register of Motor Vehicles
3. Hand in number plates to a number plate operator or one of SKAT's motor registry offices
Find motor registry office or number plate provider (only in Danish but if you enter your postal code, the ones nearest you will be shown on the screen).
4. Submit documentation to SKAT
Export to EU countries: Subit an invoice or bill of sale with information about the vehicle and name and address of buyer and seller, or documentation of registration in another country.
Businesses must submit a sales invoice.
Export to non-EU countries: Submit a statement of export. Typically, your forwarding agent will be able to help you.
If you are not registered as owner in the Register of motor vehicles, you need to submit information documentation that you own the vehicle by means of a contract note, purchase invoice or similar.
Submit the documentation to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Enter the file number from your register of motor vehicles receipt in the documentation and in the subject field in your e-mail.
You will be able to see the decision in E-tax for individuals (TastSelv Borger) under 'Meddelelser fra Motorregistret' (Messages from the Register of Motor Vehicles) or in the 'Meddelelsesarkivet' (Message archive) in E-tax for businesses (TastSelv Erhverv).
5. SKAT refunds your vehicle registration tax
The amount will be credited to your NemKonto within approx. three weeks.