If you stay in Denmark less than 185 days within a 12-month period, you may drive a vehicle with foreign number plates without having to pay Danish registration tax.
You need to pay tax in your country of residence.
- Your country of residence is the country where you stay for more than 185 days within a calendar year
- If your spouse and children reside away from Denmark and you stay with them at least twice a month, your country of residence is not Denmark
- If you reside in several countries, SKAT may decide your country of residence.
Foreign number plates in Denmark
If you are unsure of the duration of your stay in Denmark or your country of residence, you can apply for permission to drive a vehicle with foreign number plates in Denmark. Please note that SKAT charges a fee of DKK 400 to process your application.
Submit the following information to SKAT:
- form 21.059
- a copy of the vehicle registration certificate
- an employment or student contract to document the duration of your stay in Denmark
- a receipt for having paid the processing fee of DKK 400
Submit the documents via E-tax for individuals (TastSelv Borger). Select ‘Kontakt' (Contact) - ‘Send E-mail' (Send email) - ‘E-mail/Kontakt SKAT' (Email/Contact SKAT) - 'Køretøjer, registrering og nummerplader' (Vehicles, registration and number plates) - 'Udenlandske køretøjer' (Foreign vehicles).
By regular post to:
SKAT, Motorcenter 9
Helgeshøj Allé 9
Paying the processing fee of DKK 400
You can pay via online banking. Use payment slip type + 73 and account number 86984156. State the following in the comment field on the payment:
- CPR number (civil reg. no.) of applicant
- name of applicant
- vehicle registration number
- possibly file number